Tonnage Measurement

tonnage-smDavid Greening is an approved Tonnage Measurer for the Yacht Designers and Surveyors Association and can help you if you plan to register your boat on Part I of the British Registry.

You can register your boat under Part I or Part III of the Registry of Shipping and Seamen. This is operated by the Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) at Cardiff.

Part I is the closest to evidence of title and applicants send in a Declaration of Eligibility as well as Bills of Sale showing the history of the boat’s ownership for at least 5 years. The MCA forms are all available on the MCA’s website.

For those taking out marine finance over approximately £50k you will be asked to register the boat so the finance can be registered against it, in the same way as a house mortgage on the Land Registry.  Registration under Part I requires a measurement survey of the boat, and David Greening is approved to take these measurements (also known as tonnage measurements – dating from the days when cargo capacity was all important – tons = barrels).

Registration on Part I:

  • Enables you to prove title to your boat
  • Allows you to register a marine mortgage
  • Provides internationally accepted documentation to ease passage to foreign ports
  • Entitles you to protection from the Royal Navy and the services of British Consuls
  • Can enhance the resale of your vessel
  • Provides proof of date of build in respect of the EU Recreational Craft Directive
  • Ensures that your boat’s name is unique on Part I

You may register if you are :

  • A British citizen
  • A non-UK national exercising your right of freedom of movement of workers or right of establishment
  • A British Dependent Territories citizen
  • A British Overseas citizen
  • A British subject under the British Nationality Act 1981(a)

If you would like me to assist you in completing a Tonnage Measurement for Part 1 of the British Registry, please contact me for a quotation, alternatively contact the Yacht Designers and Surveyors Association for an application form and I can complete the measurements.

I work to the YDSA quoted rates, I do not charge to carry out Tonnage measurements in South Devon, but I reserve the right to charge additional costs elsewhere.

Discount for boats undertaking coding

If you are seeking certification under the MCA Small Commercial Vessel Code, I can carry out Tonnage Measurement for Part I British Registration at the same time as the Compliance Examination at a 10% discount from the normal Tonnage Measurement fee.